Believers! Put your faith in the Citadel 1911

citadel-1911-1Back in September of last year I was looking for an inexpensive but totally reliable 1911 that I could carry or just simply toss into the console of the truck without worrying about scratching or dinging up.
That’s when I came across a sales advertisement from Academy Sports showing a Citadel M1911 .45 caliber for $499. Well, I hotfooted right over to the store to have a look.
When the salesman handed it to me, a brand I barely knew but price I really liked, I naturally gave it the shake for rattles test and was quite pleased to find not a single rattle or play between slide and frame. I thought to myself, “This will do.” But I would soon discover that this pistol willdo so much more!
The Citadel 1911
The Citadel 1911 exhausted after a long day at the range.  (Photo credit: Gun Auction)                    VIDEO


The Citadel 1911 is manufactured in the Philippines by Armscor and distributed in the states by Legacy. It’s based on the time tested Browning design, single-action recoil operated semi auto, and, same as the original, built to withstand dang near anything.
The barrel, frame and slide are forged steel, and it has a Parkerized, matte black finish. The slide has deep grooves on both the front and rear, and it’s equipped with a skeletonized trigger, hammer, an ambidextrous safety and Walnut grips.
The barrel has six grooves with a 1 in 16 inch right hand twist and a full length guide rod.The Citadel 1911 is equipped with Novak style sights and although the sights are not white dot, they are plenty good for my 65 year old eyes.
A lowered and flared ejection port helps chunk the empties smoothly.

Performance

After stripping it down and giving a good cleaning I headed for the range. With me, I brought along a selection of ball and hollow point ammo — even some rather old Blazer HP’s I forgot I had.
The first hundred or so rounds I wasn’t even trying for any kind of grouping, I just wanted to check for reliability. Everything fed, and functioned perfectly even the old Blazer rounds.
Next, I set up standard B24 silhouette targets, again at the 7-, 10-, 15- and 25-yard marks and used standard carry rounds, meaning 185 grain JHP’s.
Suffice it to say, this pistol will just chew the center completely out of a B24 target at all four of the yardages mentioned, whether slow or rapid fire. And not once did I have any failure-to-feed or failures-to-eject with any type off ammo.
Final thoughts
It’s now seven months since I purchased this pistol, and I’ve put approximately 3,000 rounds through it. The only things I’ve done are clean it and put a set of Harrison design carry grips on it. It continues to shoot and function perfectly.
I’ve owned a lot of pistols over the years, but only a very select few did I have complete faith and trust in as a carry weapon. The Citadel M1911 is one of them, and I do not make that statement lightly. For the money, I think the Citadel M1911 is hard to beat.

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About